Monday, February 8, 2016

St. Josephine, pray for us



Today is the feast of St. Josephine Bakhita, a favorite saint-friend.
She was kidnapped, enslaved, and tortured. A terrible life that she did not allow to make her bitter, but instead gave her a deep love for her Savior who suffered for her. 

Such an attitude of gratitude to emulate!

A young student once asked Bakhita: "What would you do, if you were to meet your captors?" Without hesitation she responded, "If I were to meet those who kidnapped me, and even those who tortured me, I would kneel and kiss their hands. For, if these things had not happened, I would not have been a Christian and a religious today."

Again, her attitude makes the difference. She thanks God for her suffering because it drew her close to Him. She would "kiss their hands."  Something to recall on the days when the people in life become the crosses we're bearing. Instead of gossiping or lashing out or becoming cold, we should "kiss their hands" and thank them for letting us be of service.

Thank you, Lord, for these little crosses and big blessings that bring me closer to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment