Friday, August 31, 2018

Mother's Day when Mothering a Boy

I often say, "I won the Mother-In-Law Lottery." Tim's mother is a saint in so many ways and having a little boy of my own to mother has made her goodness even more clear.
The thing about having a boy is he won't, can't, shouldn't be mine forever. The Bible knows it... “For this reason a man shall leave father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." (Ephesians 5:31). I know it...I've said multiple times that he's only leaving me to become a priest...and I'm only joking a little. Because that parting will hurt. He knows it...the girls come to give me hugs in the morning when they shuffle out of bed, while he's running in circles and belly sliding down the steps, laughing at my request for a hug.
The girls are mine in their own way. They stay close, they mimic me, they'll call after they move out to talk or for advice. We'll shop together. And share interests. Miriam enjoys gardening and reading. Vivian gets her independence and love of accomplishment from me. Felicity already begs for my fabric scraps so she can "sew".
And seeing Linda through this lens - giving her son to me and generously loving both of us - makes me appreciate and love her all the more.
Hopefully one day, I'll be able to mother as gracefully as she. Until then, I'll be praying for my children's future spouses.

No comments:

Post a Comment